I joined the department in 2014. Before that, starting in 2001, I was a professor in the department of Computing and Software, at McMaster University. I finished my Ph.D. in 2001 at the University of Toronto, under the supervision of Stephen Cook.
Cybersecurity: I am especially interested in research partnerships with the industry, and I am also a frequent speaker in Cybersecurity best practices for business; see here for a selection of talks.
Algorithms: Since my PhD work at the University of Toronto, I have worked in the area of Complexity. In recent years I have become interested in Strings Algorithms and in Ranking Algorithms, and especially in the elegant Pairwise Comparisons Method. I am a member of the Centre for Combinatorics on Words and Applications (CCWA). The third edition of my book: An Introduction to the Analysis of Algorithms, came out in the spring of 2018. This new edition has a comprehensive GitHub repository with Python solutions to all programing exercises in the book, as well as Python implementations of all algorithms, and accompanying slides to all the chapters.
I teach courses in Cybersecurity, for example fall 2018; Algorithms, for example fall 2018 for undergraduate majors in Computer Science and Math, and spring 2018 for graduate masters students; as well as Cloud Computing, for example an Amazon Web Services (AWS) course in the spring 2019 .
Some professional highlights:
- May 2019, honored to participate in the Fields Institute Symposium on 50 Years of Complexity Theory: A Celebration of the Work of Stephen Cook, who was my PhD advisor at the University of Toronto. See #50YearsComplexity
- April 2019, certified as an AWS Cloud Architect; we have developed a thriving partnership with AWS; see blog post.
- April 2019, honored to be a panelist at the MIT Enterprise Forum in Cybersecurity.
- January 2018, I am very excited to announce that we started a biannual conference in Cybersecurity, a joint project of Comp Sci at CI and HAAS: blog post. Conference page: http://prof.msoltys.com/cyberconf
- March 2018, I am very honored to be selected by the Kościuszko Foundation to the Collegium of Eminent Scientists. Here is a short blog post.
- November 2017, this has been a very good year here at CI. We are implementing Mechatronics Engineering to start in the fall 2018, and we started our CS Advisory Board. We also hosted a CSU Computer Science chairs conference.
- August 7, 2017, together with COMP524 summer 2017 student we built and deployed a digital forensic tool, which we called SEAKER, for Ventura HTTP (High Technology Task Force). Here is a blog post.
- March 23, 2017, Keynote speaker at the annual meeting of the Society of Military Engineers, SAME 2017, slides. Here is a short blog post.
- On April 21, 2016, it was a great honor to receive the 2016 Business & Technology Partnership Leadership Award. Here is my short blog post.
- Invited talk at LSD2016.
- In September 2014, I was awarded Best Paper at KES2014.
- In April 2013 I was honoured as “Best Prof” by the Software Engineering Club at McMaster.
- In July — December, 2012 I was a visiting professor in the mathematics deptartment at the University of California at San Diego.
- I was the Winner of the 2010/2011 McMaster Student Union teaching award for the faculty of Engineering. [photo]
- During the academic year 2007/2008 I was a “Visiting Ulam Professor” in the Department of Mathematics at the University of Colorado in Boulder.
- In February 2008, I taught a computational complexity workshop at the XV Escuela de Verano de Ciencias Informáticas, Departamento de Computación, Universidad Nacional de Río Cuarto, Argentina.
- During the Summer 2007 I was a visiting scholar in the Theoretical Computer Science Department at the Jagiellonian University.