Skip to content
- Course URL (this page): http://prof.msoltys.com/?page_id=5463
- Canvas: https://cilearn.csuci.edu/courses/12726
- Course Syllabus (Last Updated May 20, 2020)
- Lectures: Online – summer session I – 6/1/2020 – 7/6/2020.
- Page with Readings (Password to be given first day of class)
- StackOverflow: https://stackoverflow.com/c/aws-at-csuci/questions
- CI Catalogue
- Instructor: Michael Soltys <email@example.com>
- Twitter: @MichaelMSoltys
- Course Outline: This class starts from the following premiss: you have been hired by a company with a small Communication budget, but ambitious plans. You have been tasked with setting up an effective web presence; in this role you have to combine both your CS/IT skills, as well as your Communication savvy. The decision has been made to deploy the web page as WordPress hosted on Amazon Web Services, integrated with social media, and analytics to measure the effectiveness of your communication campaign. This course will teach you how to accomplish this task. At the end of the course, you will also have a professional web page which you can use in your job search.
From catalogue: Examines Online Communications (OC) and related social issues. Large and small organizations can wield OC in order to get their message across, fundraise, and maintain a connection with their stakeholders through dialogic communications. Topics include tools such as Social Media, design of online campaigns, measurements, as well as ethical, legal, and social issues. Students will work on designing and implementing their online presence with WordPress, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Textbook: No textbook; there will be free reference material.
- Grading: Students will implement their online presence in five stages, each stage worth 15%. The stages will include the setup of a virtual EC2 server on AWS, a WordPress site populated with contents as well as setting up a Twitter and LinkedIn account, and integrating all three for consistency and style, and finishing with robust analytics. There will also be 15% for activity on StackOverflow, and 10% for activity on Slack.
- How to avoid plagiarism: The work will be done individually; each student has to work independently; verbal discussions of problems among students are allowed, indeed encouraged, but you should complete your work independently.
- Attendance: Online class.
- Students with disabilities: Cal State Channel Islands is committed to equal educational opportunities for qualified students with disabilities in compliance with Section 504 of the Federal Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990. The mission of Disability Accommodation Services is to assist students with disabilities to realize their academic and personal potential. Students with physical, learning, or other disabilities are encouraged to contact the Disability Accommodation Services office at (805) 437-8510 for personal assistance and accommodations. Please discuss your arrangements with the instructor as soon as possible.
- Check this web page regularly for announcements.