This page contains a list of selected talks. For more talks see the Proceedings and Presentations sections in Publications. Short link to this page is: http://www.msoltys.com/talks
- Cloudifying the Curriculum with AWS, AWS Educate Workshop at CI, January 24, 2020. [slides]
- Cybersecurity Education at CI, CI Cyber Security Awareness Fair, October 2019. [slides]
- Approximating consistency in pairwise comparisons, KES 2019 conference, Budapest, September 6, 2019. [posts]
- SEAKER: A mobile digital forensics triage device, KES 2019 conference, Budapest, September 5, 2019. (Presentation given by Eric Gentry.) [posts]
- Deploying Health Campaign Strategies to Defend Against Social Engineering Threats, KES 2019 conference, Budapest, September 5, 2019. [posts]
- Cybersecurity: 5th Generation Threats – What we know. Should Know. And, Don’t Know. MIT Enterprise Forum, Central Coast, April 17, 2019. [flyer][slides]
- Cyber threats: What can a mathematician do about it? dept. of Mathematics at CI, February 18, 2019.
- Software Testing, 35th International Test and Evaluation Symposium: Challenges for Global Threats, Academia Day, December 13, 2018
- Computer Science at CI: Focus on Mechatronics and Cybersecurity, a talk at the IT Guild Ventura, the Workforce Education Coalition, November 27, 2018.
- Computer Science at CI, a talk at the Regional Defense Partnership for the 21st Century (RDP-21), Ventura, November 6, 2018.
- AWS Summit: AWS/CSU Research in the Cloud Series, online, October 24, 2018.
- Cybersecurity at CI, NAWCWD Cybersecurity Collaboration, Point Mugu, October 18, 2018.
- Cybersecurity at CI, event hosted at CI by California State Assembly Member Jacqui Irwin and CSU Channel Islands President Erika D. Beck, April 20, 2018.
- Algorithms on Strings, dept. of Mathematics at CI, April 9, 2018.
- Cybersecurity and Mechatronics at CI, NAVSEA Warfare Centers, Port Hueneme, February 28, 2018.
- Emcee at the National Engineering Week Banquet, and gave a short talk on Computer Science / Mechatronics at CI, February 24, 2018.
- Computer Science, IT and Mechatronics at CI, following the State of the University address by President Beck at the Camarillo Chamber of Commerce, Spanish Hills Club, February 15, 2018.
- Information Security Best Practices, at the event Small Business Cybersecurity: Prevention and Protection, organized by Assemblymember Jacqui Irwin (District 44), December 8, 2017.
- Cybersecurity: staying safe on the Internet, and OLLI talk at CI, June 8, 2017.
- Algorithms – the rules of modern living / Los algorithms – las reglas de la vida moderna, bilingual talk given at the Blanchard Community Library in Santa Paula, CA, on April 11, 2017.
- Cybersecurity, keynote speaker at the meeting of the Oxnard-Ventura Post of the Society of American Military Engineers (SAME), March 23, 2017.
- Establishing Mechatronics at CI, CI Enrollment Management meeting, March 15, 2017.
- Computer Science and Mechatronics at CI, the Channel Islands Chapter of the Association of Unmanned Vehicle Systems International (AUVSI), July 12, 2016.
- Problems related to alphabet sizes, Invited talk at LSD2016.
- Intro to Cryptography, invited talk at the Ventura August meeting of ISSA (Information Systems Security Association), on August 20, 2015
- Algorithms on Strings, joint seminar of Mathematics and Computer Science, California State University at Channel Islands, February 4, 2015.
- Fair ranking in competitive bidding procurement: A case analysis, joint seminar of Mathematics and Computer Science, California State University at Channel Islands, October 15, 2014.
- How safe is your data?, Toronto Association of Police and Private Security (TAPPS), invited talk, May 12, 2014.
- An algorithmic view of Computer Science, Department of Computer Science, California State University at Channel Islands, November 1, 2013.
- Unshuffling a Square is NP-hard, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Theory seminar, University of California, San Diego, December 3, 2012.
- NIST Approach to Information Security, Formal Requirements and Information Security Enhancement (FRAISE) Research Group, McMaster University, May 2012.
- An overview of cryptography: A mathematical perspective on public key cryptosystems, McMaster Advanced Optimization Laboratory, October 2008.
- Computational complexity, Universidad de Rio Cuarto, Argentina, February 2008.
- Computational complexity, Ulam Seminar, University of Colorado at Boulder, September-December 2007.
- Computational complexity, University of Poznan, June 2007.
- Proof complexity, Algorithmics Research Group, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, May 2007.
- Computational complexity: an overview of open problems, Universidad Autonoma, Madrid, December 2006.
- The proof complexity of matrix algebra, An Isaac Newton Institute Workshop, New Directions in Proof Complexity, Cambridge, April 2006.
- Tim Paterson and Michael Soltys, A propositional proof system with quantification over permutations, Franco-Canadian Workshop on Combinatorial Algorithms (COMAL), August 2005.
- Proof complexity of the Cayley-Hamilton theorem, Center for Discrete Mathematics and Theoretical Computer Science (DIMACS), Rutgers University, New Jersey, March 2005
- Proof complexity of matrix algebra, Oberwolfach workshop in proof complexity, Germany, March 2005.
- Proof complexity of linear algebra, University of California at San Diego, January 2005.
- Proof complexity, Grupo de Lenguajes y Sistemas Informaticos (LSI), Universidad Politecnica de Cataluna (UPC), Barcelona, May 2004.
- Matrix products, Symposium for Computing in the XXI century, McMaster University, October 2001.
- Complexity of derivations of matrix identities, Institute for Advanced Studies (IAS), Workshop on Proof Complexity, Princeton, December 2000.
- Boolean programs and quantified propositional proof systems, Canadian Mathematical Society Winter Meeting, Montreal, December 1999.